CCWO offers a Volunteering scheme, allowing the opportunity for people to gain valuable experience in a community setting.
Volunteering can open doors to new opportunities!
Is there anything you always wanted to try and learn about and never had the opportunity to? Volunteering may hold the key! Volunteering is increasing in popularity and is becoming more of a learning experience for both parties rather than the traditional view. It is becoming popular with a variety of people who are exploring new and varied work and wanting to gain overall work experience and build their career portfolio.
Schools and colleges are actively encouraging students to find work experience placements, which provide learning in a supportive environment.
Volunteering is promoted in job centres, because volunteering can lead to gaining valuable skills and experience which can open doors to new employment. Also on a personal level, Volunteering can really help with increasing confidence and building self esteem as this increases knowledge and provides the opportunities for meeting and making new friends.
Volunteering can open up social opportunities and is useful for people who want to get out of the house and offer some valuable time and skills for the benefit of the community.
Volunteering is a two way process, where the community benefits and the volunteer gains valuable experience in community and social care work.
Some of our ideas for volunteers are the following, but we welcome your ideas for any other role!
- Complementary Therapists: Aromatherapy / Massage Practitioner/Offer massage therapy to relax and refresh mind and body.
- English Language Tutors: Experienced tutors to teach small class basic English spoken, reading and writing. Class also goes on monthly trips to socialise and practice spoken English.
- Befrienders: To visit and keep regular weekly, pre-arranged meetings with clients in their home. To help reduce isolation and help offer a friendly supportive ear to housebound clients.
- Administration Assistant: Assisting with office duties and organising office files / equipment and assisting with any photo copying.
- Handy person: Assist with any basic DIY tasks and general maintenance of building.
- Hairdresser: To be based at the centre.
- Cook: To help prepare lunch meals and assist with special events in food preparation.
- Creative Arts /Drama Teacher: To run drama workshops in Greek and practice groups with the end goal of performing a production.
- Marketing/fundraising volunteer: To help identify funding opportunities and complete applications and market projects/events going on at the centre.
- Greek Dance/Movement Dance Teacher: To offer Greek dance classes to group of Cypriot women. To create a fun, sociable and learning environment.
- Yoga/Tai chi/Alexander Technique Teacher: To run small groups and help isolated older clients enjoy these movement classes and also encourage social involvement.
- Management Committee Members: With skills and knowledge of the community. It helps to have voluntary organisation knowledge, but not essential. CCWO welcomes professionals who would like to contribute to the management committee, who have skills, knowledge that can help guide the organisation. We welcome people with skills, knowledge and ideas of moving the organisation forward.
For more information please contact:
Koula Ioannou (manager) firstname.lastname@example.org tel: 020 7267 7194