- 8-10 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled (7 ounces)
- 3/4 of a cup milk cream
- 100g grated Parmesan or Regato or kefalograviera (3.5 ounces)
- 100g grated Gouda cheese or Emedal cheese (3.5 ounces)
- 100g ricotta cheese or anthotiro (3.5 ounces)
- 2 large organic eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsps fresh mint (optional)
- olive oil or melted butter
- sesame seeds (optional)
- freshly ground pepper
- If you choose to prepare this Greek tiropita recipe with commercial filo, it is important to defrost completely by putting it in the fridge the night before you use it; A very common mistake is to leave it defrost at room temperature as this will make the outer layers gummy; when working with phyllo dough, it should be defrosted, but still cold. For beginners always work with your hands dry, Prepare a surface large enough to use as a work space (not floured). Unroll from the plastic sleeve, only when you are ready to use.
- Prepare the filling for the tiropita. This traditional tiropita recipe, calls for three different kind of cheese for extra flavour! Use a fork to crumble the feta cheese into a large bowl and add the beaten eggs along with the rest of the grated cheese and milk cream. Chop some fresh mint and add to the mixture. Season with freshly ground pepper and blend well with a spoon. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
- For this tiropita recipe you will need a large baking tray, approx. 20*30 cm. Using a pastry brush, butter the bottom and sides of the tray. Place one sheet of filo at the bottom of the pan and with a cooking brush sprinkle some olive oil or melted butter. Repeat the procedure, adding 4-5 more sheets of filo. You will use 5-6 filo sheets for the bottom of the tiropita.
- Pour in the feta cheese mixture and smooth with a spatula. With a knife trim some of the excessive filo, and fold the excess filo sheets flaps over the mixture. Top the tiropita with 4-5 more filo sheets, making sure to oil or butter each one, before adding the other; roll in the edges. Brush the top with oil or butter, sprinkle with water and sesame seeds. If using commercial filo to make this tiropita recipe make sure to score the top with a sharp knife, to help release the steam.
- Bake the tiropita in a preheated oven at 180C for 45-50 minutes, until the filo is crisp and golden. Let it cool down for a while before serving.Enjoy!