Kalamaria Gemista me Manitaria
(Stuffed Squid with mushrooms)
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
10 Medium Kalamaria
½ Cup Olive oil, divided
1 Medium onion, finely copped
2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
3 Medium Spring onions, only the whites & finely chopped
5 Button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 Can, (500 grams) of whole tomatoes, blended and divided
½ Cup Water,
140 Grams Rice Carolinaor glace (similar to Arborio)
½ Cup White dry Wine
1 Sprig fresh oregano, finely chopped
2 Sprigs Fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 Cup Parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp of raisins or craisins (I used craisins)
- Clean and wash the kalamari and remove and cut tentacles in small pieces.
- Heat half the olive oil in a skillet and sauté the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Then add the mushrooms and sauté for a few minutes and then add the oregano and thyme.
- Add the tentacles and sauté as well.
- Then add the rice and sauté for a few minutes and add the wine and keep mixing until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add 1/3 of the tomato and water and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep mixing constantly until the water is absorbed. Finally mix in the parsley and craisins and set aside to cool.
- Stuff the kalamari and secure opening with a toothpick. Place in a Pyrex, add remaining tomato and the remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180° and bake for 45 minutes for 1 hour, (depending on the size of the kalamari), turning once.
Notes: If you have leftover filling, wrap it in aluminum foil and put it in the dish with the kalamari.